Friday, February 26, 2010

Another first

Today was one more first for Caitlyn. Her first trip to the dentist. She did wonderful.

She had the woman who is normally my hygienist, and I love her. She's very patient with Caitlyn. I had a check up in July and took Caitlyn with me and the woman allowed Caitlyn to take the Xrays of my teeth and play with things around the room. She also has a young daughter so that helped, I'm sure.

Caitlyn was all excited and got dressed up to go today. We get there and she hops right on the chair, unfortunately started crying immediately. After a few minutes of the hygienist allowing her to play with the instruments and showing her what she would be doing. testing the water and air, the sucker, Caitlyn was set to have her teeth looked at. We tried the Xrays right away but she was having none of it. So it was the checkup and cleaning first.

The woman even gave her a pair of zebra sunglasses to wear while she worked on her teeth. She let Caitlyn use the sucker to get any water or paste from her mouth. Caitlyn got to pick out her own fluoride (I'd completely forgotten about fluoride treatments for kids. I remember having to sit there for 20 minutes at time biting down on those stupid Styrofoam trays. No more! Now it's some sort of foam and just a minute for the top and the bottom! She picked Cherry Cheesecake flavor *double yuck from me*) And she did a wonderful job using the sucker while biting down on the trays.

Afterward we tried once more to get her to take the Xrays but the tray for that is just too big for her little mouth. So we'll give it a try next time. And my favorite Dr. checked her over, so I was happy. I do not like his new partner and eventually, successor. I don't know that I will stay once he is gone. He's such a sweet man. And its a shame because I do love Megan, the hygienist.

She was then allowed to pick out a toothbrush to go with her new toothpaste and floss, which she was very excited about since she watches me use mine. They even had character toothbrushes for kids! She picked out the Cinderella one and then got to pick out a prize for being so good, and a sticker! This trip was absolutely amazing. My fear of her throwing up on the Dr. was not needed (hey, in my defense this HAPPENED in my family. Everytime we went my sister threw up the fluoride because she didn't understand that she wasn't supposed to SWALLOW it while it was in her mouth.)

My baby is getting so big! How did this happen?

We then get some lunch at the gas station (Taco John's, don't ask, it's rural Minnesota) and I playfully squeeze her neck only to have her yell "You BROKE something!" sigh.

Other good ones from today? During laundry folding she pulls out her underwear from the dryer and yells "Mama! Touch my underwear! They are warm!" and a few minutes later "I will give you $20 to wash this wall" I'm not sure why since it was the laundry room wall.

Constant source of entertainment, she is.

3 comments:

gardenofsimple said...

lol what a day!

My kids were 4 before I brought them to the dentist. I think they're supposed to go at 2?

Our dentist wasn't giving fluoride anymore because it's in the water, but since we moved and are on well water, our kids have been getting it now. I'm so particular about our dentist too. We moved, but I still drive 45 minutes (one way) to my dentist. I can't bring myself to switch yet.

Butterflie said...

I'd heard 2 also, but really; a two year old can not handle the dentist in my opinion. At least she couldn't at that age. We had it scheduled for about a month ago but she was sick.

Sara said...

She is so cute! Jesse needs to visit the dentist, but I just finished paying James dentist for his stuff. On my to-do list.