Tuesday, April 27, 2010

In which I do not give plasma. Again

I went back to the Biolife center on Friday. I sign in and go to start my questionnaire. However when I hit the computer screen to get it started the machine informs me that I can not continue and I must speak with someone at the desk. I then go over to the desk and tell the men (argh!) there and they inform me I have something wrong in my file and I need to sit down.

I sit down for a few minutes and wait. Then a woman calls my name and tells me that I have been infinitely deferred because of my address. They are not allowed to accept me because I live more than 100 miles away and why on earth would I be there? I explain, "I am doing my Medical Administrative Assistant AAS and I chose to do this as a topic of my final paper. I thought that if I was able to donate plasma myself it would add to the paper."

"Well that makes sense. Have a seat and I'll see what I can do." and she leaves me in the waiting room.

A few minutes later she calls me into her office just off the waiting room to talk to her about the problem. I'm aware of two things, 1) People who are asked to be seated and wait generally have something wrong with them. Be it a disease that prohibits them from donating, or protein levels. 2) This woman has very strange hair and no matter how much gel she uses, she won't be able to hide her scalp. Thin hair is very strange for me to see since I have extremely thick hair.

She then says "Well why are you here?"

"I have family in town that I come to visit and thought I would continue donating."

"We can't take you unless you can prove where you live in town here. You need an envelope with that address and your name on it before you can donate again. I'm sorry it wasn't communicated to you better." she stares at me.

"Ok? So I can't donate today?" I'm confused. They are turning down plasma because of an address problem?

"No, I'm sorry."

Sigh. I drove two hours with Caitlyn for nothing. I spent the weekend with my family, so it wasn't a total loss. Still I was annoyed with their practices.